
tatehyouzu Shrine, also known as Harima-no-Kuni Sohsha, in Himeji, Hyogo Prefecture.
Assassin's Creed Shadows has sparked a heated debate over its portrayal of Japanese history. Critics label it as cultural appropriation or worse. Others defend its creative liberties. Follow our ongoing coverage.
Ubisoft's Violence in a Real-life Shrine
Footage from Assassin's Creed Shadows, released on March 20, shows the game's protagonist entering a real-life shrine in Hyogo Prefecture and destroying sacred objects inside. The video, shared on streaming platforms before the game's official release, quickly sparked controversy. It was later learned that the shrine had sent a protest letter to Ubisoft, the game's French developer, before the launch.
Written in both Japanese and English, the letter expresses the shrine's protest against the Ubisoft game's utterly disrespectful actions and use of the shrine as a setting. Despite this, Ubisoft released the game without responding.
Set in Japan's Warring States period, Assassin's Creed Shadows has also drawn attention for its portrayal of Yasuke. A Black man who served under Oda Nobunaga, Yasuke is depicted as one of the main protagonists. In the game, he is presented as a "legendary samurai."
Fears Rise Over In-Game Imitation and Shrine Attack
Before the official release, several YouTubers posted early-access gameplay of AC Shadows. One widely viewed clip showed Yasuke rampaging through a shrine, destroying objects inside with a sword.
The shrine depicted is Itatehyouzu Shrine, also known as Harima-no-Kuni Sohsha. It is a real-life location near Himeji Castle in Hyogo Prefecture. Moreover, the game uses the shrine's actual name.
In mid-February, a shrine representative told The Sankei Shimbun they would "take appropriate action."
On March 10, the shrine sent a protest letter to Ubisoft, stating: "We would like to take this opportunity to express our firm protest against the outrageous and disrespectful behavior of the supposed protagonist in the Assassin's Creed Shadows game from Ubisoft, even in a virtual space, in which the name of our company's actual shrine is clearly stated, and in a place that may be within the premises of the shrine."
Since the video clip was posted, the shrine added, "We have been inundated with enquiries from people who have seen the video… and it is interfering with our daily business." The shrine also requested that Ubisoft immediately halt the game's production and sale.
Hyogo Prefectural Shrine Association Also Protests
In a separate protest letter, the Hyogo Prefectural Shrine Association emphasized that the issue extended beyond a single location. "This is not just a matter of one shrine, but is a matter of concern for all the shrines in Hyogo Prefecture and throughout the country." The Association then politely requested that Ubisoft avoid using names that would identify with actual shrines.
Vandalism of sacred places and attacks on worshippers would never be tolerated in any religion around the world, the association added. Acknowledging that the destruction depicted is a result of player choice, the letter raised several concerns. It notes that, while it is unlikely that a sensible person would commit such an act, the fact remains that the game allows it. "We do not want to see the possibility of copycats emerging, which would not only call into question your company's moral responsibility but could also lead to social and even international problems," says the letter.
It urged Ubisoft to modify the game's programming.

Upper House Member Questions Ubisoft's Corporate Stance
Ubisoft did not respond to the protest letters. From the shrine's perspective, the game was released as if their concerns had been ignored.
Hiroyuki Kada, a member of Japan's House of Councillors, raised the issue during a session of the Upper House Budget Committee. "Those involved are deeply hurt and concerned," he noted.
In an interview with The Sankei Shimbun, Kada remarked, "We're not asking for special treatment for shrines. The point is that we should respect each other's cultures." He continued, "The complete lack of response raises serious concerns about the company's stance. It's extremely disappointing."
Ubisoft released a software update on launch day that made some shrine objects indestructible. However, players can still behave violently inside shrines, just as shown in early-access footage.
Kada criticized the patch as "insufficient."
RELATED:
- Gamer's World | Assassin's Creed Shadows is Out, So What Do Gamers Think?
- INTERVIEW | Yasuke and Assassin's Creed Shadows: A Japanese Historian's Perspective
- New Ubisoft Game 'Assassin's Creed Shadows:' Why the Criticism?
(Read the article in Japanese)
Author: Kanji Takahashi